Seventhly is a new project from Singer Kesty Morrison and Hip Hop producer Sir Beans OBE, now signed to Reel Me Records. Blending Beans edgy beats and smooth production with Kesty’s soulful vocals and gentle lyricism Seventhly creates a unique sound at once powerful and soft, passionate yet subtle. Know them better…
1. How did you get your initial start in music?
My first live gig was at St Pauls Festival in 1990/91, Djing for an M.C. called Richy D
2. What would be your ultimate aim in the industry?
I just want to make my mark. Keep on making music my way without feeling that I have to compromise. That’s it really. What would be the point otherwise?
3. How long have you been writing your own music?
Since I was in school. I used to mess about making pause tapes. I didn’t seriously start until the early/mid nineties.
4. Who are your top three influences and why?
Top 3? That’s tough! The first three I can think of would be
-Marley Marl – producer for the Juice Crew and the creator of one of my all-time favourite Hip Hop records, Marley Marl Scratch.
-Grandmaster Caz – One of my favourite MC’s. A member of the legendary group, Cold Crush Brothers and an uncredited writer of Rappers Delight
-DJ Q Bert – For making scratch DJing something that can be performed solely as a show, bringing it to the forefront and taking it to the next level.
5. Is there anything you would like people to know about your current release?
Sleep Quietly is the first EP, taken from the forthcoming album ‘Sound Mind’ with Kesty Morrison on vocals. All of the tracks are based heavily on samples. Crunchy, brash and unusual in places. Just how we like ’em! Kesty’s vocals balance it out perfectly.
6. Where are you based and what’s your local scene like? Any favourite venues?
Bristol is my home. So many names have come from here and it’s always been a great place to be, for music. Very tight-knit.
The Thekla was my favourite venue, before the management changed. Fiddlers and Mr. Wolfs are also great venues.
7. Who else can you recommend from your local scene for people to have a listen to?
Awkward, The Animal of Anham All Asylum, Split Prophets, Sir Plus, Baileys Brown, The Fauns, Chris Lucas, Mr Fantastic, C Froo, Aspects, Tamco, The Jukes, Get The Blessing…and many more.
8. Give our readers a round up of where they can find you online and hear more of your music.
Sir Beans OBE Facebook: Steve ‘Beans’ Perrett