1. How did you get your initial start in music?
Started on piano but I soon nagged my dad to buy me my first guitar after hearing ‘Johnny B Goode’ by Chuck Berry. I still play it now and again to end the set on gigs. I love a bit of nostalgia. Takes me back to my teens.
- What would be your ultimate aim in the industry?
My ultimate aim is a Worldwide Tour playing my own music. I’d love to be in Buble’s shoes. What a band. What an incredible sound he has. What a great reaction he gets from his audiences. It makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. That’s what I’m in music for. I want to push the limits and see how far I can go.
- How long have you been writing your own music?
I’ve been writing my own songs since I was 12. I used an old eight-track recorder back then. I’ll have to dig them out at some point. Would be funny. You never know there could be some hidden gems.
- Who are your top three influences and why?
‘The Beatles’ as its song writing at its best. ‘George Benson’ for the jazz and his amazing voice and guitar playing, and ‘Bruno Mars’ for being amazingly contemporary with super cool tunes.
- Is there anything you would like people to know about your current release?
It’s catchy as hell, and the best part is it never gets annoying. Trust me, I’ve spent hundreds of hours listening to it over and over in the recording studio and again while editing the video. Amazingly I still love it. It’s great.
- Where are you based and what’s your local scene like? Any favourite venues?
Born and based in Newport, South Wales. The live scene is mostly rock and alternative, which was my first love. The famous club was ‘TJ’s’ before it closed. There is a great Jazz club in Cardiff called ‘Café Jazz’ which I used to play when I was in music College.
Nowadays, I play where the music takes me which is mostly London and as many gigs around the World as I can get. I’ve been all over from Mexico City to Japan. You only live once right and I want to see as much as I can.
- Who else can you recommend from your local scene for people to have a listen to?
Feeder. They came from Newport.
- Give our readers a round up of where they can find you online and hear more of your music.
markruebery.com for Twitter and video feeds.
You have to check out the video to my new single ‘Her Smile’. The girl is incredible.
28th January 205 is the album launch at the ‘Glanfa stage’ Cardiff Millennium Centre. From 6.30 p.m