1. How did you get your initial start in music?
After graduating from university I was faced with the problem of how to make a living. I decided to try busking, with my good friend Kristyna Myles. It proved to be just about profitable enough so that we could survive. We made some great connections through busking and I’ve had a great few years working as a guitarist and singer-songwriter.
2. What would be your ultimate aim in the industry?
Longevity. I’d love to be able to keep writing songs and recording albums for many years. Hopefully I’ll still be doing it in my seventies.
3. How long have you been writing your own music?
I guess I’ve always written little tunes since an early age, but the process has intensified over the past few years as I’ve been writing for this album. I think I’ve written about 60 songs and chosen the best few to go on my debut album . I’ve written plenty of terrible songs too.
4. Who are your top three influences and why?
My earliest influence was probably The Beatles. I found a vinyl copy of ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ in my parents cupboard when I was about 5 or 6, and have been obsessed ever since. More recently I’ve been listening to Paul Simon pretty much non-stop. It’s hard to fathom how one man can write so many great songs. As for a third, it’s tough. Stevie Wonder or Joni Mitchell maybe.
5. Is there anything you would like people to know about your current release?
My current release is my debut album, entitled ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’. Initially I worked as a session guitarist, playing and writing for other people. This is the first release under my own name and I can’t wait to get it out there.
6. Where are you based and what’s your local scene like? Any favourite venues? Manchester is great for music. Just walking down one street in the Northern Quarter you can find a jazz club, a great open mic night, indie bands playing at Night and Day and much more. I recently did an album launch gig at The Castle Hotel, which was great fun, and I’ll be running a monthly night there starting in May.
7. Who else can you recommend from your local scene for people to have a listen to? The list is endless. Kristyna Myles, Jon Kenzie, Gideon Conn, Sobi, The Travelling Band, Swiss Lips, Rory Charles to name but a few.
8. Give our readers a round up of where they can find you online and hear more of your music.
My website is http://www.benpwilliams.com/, twitter is https://twitter.com/benpwilliamsFacebook is https://www.facebook.com/BenPWilliamsGuitar. This is the link to my latest music vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBMxuO7Ka3I . If you search for ‘Who Do You Think you are’ by Ben P Williams, you’ll be able to find my album on iTunes, amazon , spotify etc.