1. How did you get your initial start in music?
We both grew up with music around us. Jeff’s father was a violinist and Angélique discovered the piano as a toddler, which led to taking lessons.
We both had moments as kids when family members played us their record collections and our minds were opened to a new sound world. Artists like Pink Floyd, The Kills, The Doors, Eno…
2. What would be your ultimate aim in the industry?
It’s about connecting with people, be it through recordings or live. It’s always been important for the creative industries to challenge, express and push boundaries. Now is no exception. We have huge respect for artists who do this and are excited to be a part of that.
3. How long have you been writing your own music?
Together we have been writing for four years. We spent a year getting to know each other personally and musically before pressing record: understanding each other’s tastes in music, experimenting with sounds and styles. Time and energy well spent.
Individually we’ve been writing since our early teens. Angélique with classical pieces and string parts for indie bands and Jeff in rock music.
4. Who are your top three influences and why?
John Lennon because he was a thinking person and wrote great lyrics.
Burt Bacharach for his melodies and Brian Eno for his unique approach to music.
5. Is there anything you would like people to know about your current release?
‘Burning Desire’ is now released and we hope people like it!
It was written on Angelique’s birthday. There was a very unique vibe that night and we improvised the track in its entirety.
6. Where are you based and what’s your local scene like? Any favourite venues?
We are both based in London.
London is alive with any kind of music from Kingsland Road to Camden. Favrourite venues would have to be the Brixton Academy and the Royal Albert Hall.
7. Who else can you recommend from your local scene for people to have a listen to?
Spring King – Good explosive energy.
London has some of the world’s best orchestras who often work with bands, artists and film music. It’s a pretty mind-blowing sound world.
8. Give our readers a round up of where they can find you online and hear more of your music.
Our website www.playingmars.com. It’ll give you a good idea of who we are, our music and the work we do with artists and filmmakers. Also we’re pretty active on Facebook, Twitter and SoundCloud.