Know Me Better Interview:
How did you get your initial start in music?
- I (Chris) started out watching my brother (Chip) play in different bands. He had started a band called Adara and they were a three piece with bass, guitar, and drums. Eventually they added a 4th member who became their keyboard player and immediately I was infatuated with the instrument. We had a piano back home in our living room that pretty much sat there and was never used. Eventually I sat down and started to mess around on it. Once I became more comfortable with the instrument I began to start writing little pop songs, it wasn’t until a tragic death of a high school friend of mine that I began to realize my passion for songwriting as a means of self expression. As the years went by my brother Chip moved out to California and upon his return we decided it was finally a good time to combine our music ability as we both shared similar tastes in music.
What would be your ultimate aim in the industry?
- I believe immediate aim is to be successful on an international level as we would love to share our music with as many people as possible and hope that it brings them the same amount of satisfaction that we gain creating and performing it. Our ultimate aim, however, I believe is just to make the best music that we can.
How long have you been writing your own music?
- Individually it varies, but as Cosby, the first songs on our debut album In Flight began to take shape between the winters of 2011-2012.
Who are your top three influences and why?
- Hmm, this is tough so I’ll break it down like this.
- Favorites of all Time: Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Simon & Garfunkel
- Favorite 80s artists: The Outfield, Aha, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, Peter Gabriel, Paul Simon
- Favorite current artists: The Killers, M83, St. Lucia, Mitch Murder, Miami Nights 1984
Is there anything you would like people to know about your current release?
- Our upcoming release “Summer Gold” due in the UK May 11th features our most recent single “Heartracer” and currently is set to have 5 total tracks. Unlike our debut album In Flight, this EP has a much more anthemic and energetic songs.
Where are you based and what’s your local scene like? Any favorite venues?
- We are based in Richmond, Virginia where myself and my brother Chip were born and raised. It’s a fairly small city that is blossoming more every day with various pockets of great food and culture. Our favorite venues to play are The National Theater where we opened for Banks, and The Camel where we opened for Future Islands.
Who else can you recommend from your local scene for people to have a listen to?
- There is a group called NO BS Brass that is pretty killer, they played Thriller from beginning to end with all brass which is just awesome.
Give our readers a round up of where they can find you online and hear more of your music.
- The best thing to do would be to visit our official website at www.cosbymusic.com. Here you can find links to all of our social media outlets! Thank you so much!