1. How did you get your initial start in music?
I got a production deal for my remixes when I was 17. A few years later, after I’d started composing and writing songs for other people, a manager suggested I record a few of them myself because he liked my voice. That was essentially the start of my career as an artist.
2. What would be your ultimate aim in the industry?
I think these days people are lucky just to make a living making music. I feel I’ve already achieved so much with my work and the fact that I get to wake up every day and make sounds keeps me happy and grateful.
3. How long have you been writing your own music?
I’ve been writing since I was a teenager. I used to write songs during classes in secondary school!
4. Who are your top three influences and why?
My influences change regularly. Right now I’m inspired by the rebels of the music world – people like David Bowie, Macklemore and Madonna. People who take an uninhibited “don’t give a f**k” approach to their music whilst getting their message across.
5. Is there anything you would like people to know about your current release?
My next EP “The Prequel” is just a taster of what’s to come. I’ll be releasing my first ever UK album later this year. I’m taking a very different approach to this album so I’m more excited than ever for people to hear it.
6. Where are you based and what’s your local scene like? Any favourite venues?
I’m currently based in Solihull, but to be honest I don’t spend much time in my local scene. I’ve been travelling a lot recently so I’ve been checking out other scenes. But I’ve heard the nearby Birmingham music scene is pretty solid and varied right now.
7. Who else can you recommend from your local scene for people to have a listen to?
Like I said, I’m not very involved in my local scene. However, if you like my rockier songs you should check out Newcastle band the Saints of Arcadia. Their frontman is my guitarist so you’ll recognise his riffing style, but also their performances are so tight and they put on a Helluva show.
8. Give our readers a round up of where they can find you online and hear more of your music.
First port-of-call is the official site – www.bentleyjones.com – all of my music is available there including some that isn’t available in retailers. My music videos and more are available on my YouTube channel – www.youtube.com/BentleyJonesMusic. Then you can st4lk me on social media – www.facebook.com/BentleyJonesMusic and @Bentley_Jones.