How did you get your initial start in music?
– I’ve been playing and writing effectively ‘forever’, but in terms of doing it professionally and publicly this is my start, really! Righteous Reprobates is the kind and quality of a band that I always wanted to be in, and I’m just dying to be getting on with it now, and to do everything as well and as fast as we can!
What would be your ultimate aim in the industry?
– For Righteous Repropbates to become as ‘big’ a Band as possible – so that the maximum number of people can get to hear and enjoy our music… And hopefully to become recognised as being a really good Songwriter – like the people I most respect for doing this, and whose work has meant so much to me.
How long have you been writing your own music?
– From very early on, from childhood I suppose you could say! I can’t remember a time when I didn’t want to be writing my own stuff – and I’ve been actively honing my skills as a Songwriter ever since.
Who are your top three influences and why?
– I suppose Oasis, Nirvana and the Beatles, if I have to pick just 3… but there are loads of others that are really important too! – Led Zeppelin, The Who, Townes Van Zandt and Martin Carthy, Blur, the Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian, Alice In Chains.
Is there anything you would like people to know about your current release?
– Yes; the track ‘My Psychosis’ was picked specifically to introduce the Band and what we can do – but it’s the whole (debut) ALBUM (that should be coming out fairly early in 2016) that I’m most pleased with and excited about! That should give people a better impression of the breadth and depth of Righteous Reprobates and our material.
Where are you based and what’s your local scene like? Any favourite venues?
– London and Kent – and I gather that there is something of a thriving scene, with some good local bands emerging from various places around Kent… We’re particularly keen to be playing at some of the venues in the Maidstone area, as soon as we can… And London obviously speaks for itself! In Camden, for example, it would be great to be doing shows at places like Koko and the Electric Ballroom – hopefully the Roundhouse and so on, one day!… In all honesty I’ve been so busy with getting the Band together and recording the Album that I haven’t had that much time for checking out other band and venues… Perhaps people reading this might like to contact us with some suggestions as to specific venues and nights that it should be good and right for us to be playing? – and even some bands that might work well on the same bill with the kind of stuff we are doing?
Who else can you recommend from your local scene for people to have a listen to?
– As I said, unfortunately I’ve been to busy getting on with it all to be able to come up with much of a response here…
Give our readers a round up of where they can find you online and hear more of your music.
– The Single ‘My Psychosis’ should be available from all the usual obvious places, from Dec 7th, and you can watch us performing it on YouTube. There’s our home base RighteousReprobates.com and the Facebook page but our presence around the Internet generally seems to be developing nicely at the moment… Actually, just the other day AnnieJ played the single on her show on EGH Radio – and I was pleased to hear her say she thought it was “absolutely brilliant”! Cheers, Annie!