- How did you get your initial start in music?
My older brothers (who already had guitars), inspired me. I was captivated by their interest in music in London in the late 1960’s and early 70s. One of my brothers gave me a Yamaha FG140 acoustic guitar which I still have. They were listening to Donovan, Dylan, The Beatles, The Doors, etc. I wanted to be like them and inevitably copied my older brothers! It was a very exciting time musically and soon I was writing my own songs.
- What would be your ultimate aim in the industry?
My aim is simply to broaden my audience. I would like more people to enjoy my music.
- How long have you been writing your own music?
Since I was about 15.
- Who are your top three influences and why?
Leonard Cohen – Because of his emotional intensity and sincerity and the melodic beauty of his tunes.
The Velvet Underground. – A wonderful mixture of the spontaneous and the contemporary. So natural and unpretentious. Unsurpassed.
Bob Dylan – Incredible range and edge. Iconic – Genius.
- Is there anything you would like people to know about your current release?
My current release continues my interest in the personal and universal and reflects my various influences. The songs are concerned with affairs of the heart – Love, loss, beauty and melancholia. I think it best to listen to the whole album if possible, as it develops and deepens as it progresses. I have tried to make it so the words and music fit seamlessly together and flow naturally. It’s something of a slow burner I think to be listened to in ‘chill’ mode perhaps!
- Where are you based and what’s your local scene like? Any favourite venues?
I’m based in Edinburgh. My favourite venue is currently The Outhouse, Broughton Street Lane, Edinburgh. I performed there recently. I also like the Jazz Bar and hope to perform there too.
- Who else can you recommend from your local scene for people to have a listen to?
Lindsey and The Storm.
- Give our readers a round up of where they can find you online and hear more of your music.
I have my own music website with loads of info an news at http://www.stephenharrisonmusic.com
My new album ‘Cherry fair’ can be streamed on Spotify at https://open.spotify.com/album/5UIExhhU8VbhcMXbIr8Tgj