- How did you get your initial start in music?
Been a Hip hop / Funk / Reggae DJ since I was like 13 / 14 and then seriously got into the production side of things as a hobby around 2011.. I was working in soul-less corporate / office jobs which I hated and then I experienced a health scare in 2014 which was the final straw. So I decided to live my dream and be a full time Hip hop producer then. The rapping / emcee element actually came out of necessity as it was difficult to find UK hip hop rappers who were available and able to speak about eastern consciousness. So I did it myself.
- What would be your ultimate aim in the industry?
Just to get my music heard at the moment. I’m Zero Dinero which means ‘no money’ so it’s never been my intention to make millions etc. It’s all about raising peoples knowledge and consciousness through music. Would love to be able to tour, see the world and meet some beautiful people along the way though..
- How long have you been writing your own music?
I’ve been writing my own music since around 2012
- Who are your top three influences and why?
1) Swami Vivekananda – who was the first ever Hindu Monk to travel to the ‘west’ and bring Eastern Philosophy with him. He was also a pioneer of the global interfaith movement. Just about every word that came out of his mouth was inspiring – you should google him and see for yourselves. His teachings are the inspiration behind the songs ‘Be and Make’ and ‘The Time Has Come’
2) Musically – Gift of Gab from Blackalicious (who features on my song The Time Has Come) is an inspiration as not only is he a master of his craft and truly gifted, his dedication can be seen by the fact that although he is not 100% well i.e. he requires kidney dialysis regularly, he still keeps touring and doesn’t let that hold him back.
3) My Father who came over to the UK from Kenya with nothing but my mum and his younger brothers in 69 as a young man.. but through hard work, discipline and a positive mind set has achieved success.
- Is there anything you would like people to know about your current release?
So ‘The Time Has Come’ is available to buy on Vinyl and CD through my website www.zero-dinero.com and is also available to stream and download on all major online shops.
- Where are you based and what’s your local scene like? Any favourite venues?
I’m based in Swindon which frankly doesn’t have the greatest scene / nightlife but it’s great as a ‘base’ as I can be in Bristol within 30 mins and London in an hour which is great. My favourite venues at the moment are probably the Full Moon where I recently had my launch party with Rodney P etc. and Fleece in Bristol as both these venues host some great live acts from different genres of music.
- Who else can you recommend from your local scene for people to have a listen to?
I would recommend ‘Typesun’ who is creating some beautiful electronic and also live music from Bristol and also from a Hip hop perspective I like ‘Oddissee’ although he ain’t very local.
- Give our readers a round up of where they can find you online and hear more of your music.
So check out my website www.zero-dinero.com and go like my page on facebook https://www.facebook.com/zerodinero/ and my twitter is @zero_dinero and yeah I’m on all good streaming and download sites e.g. Spotify and iTunes etc.
Peace and Namaste!